Monday, May 5, 2014

Saturday Date: This Little Piggy Went To The Market [Pt. 2]

 
 

 
E here, for part deux of my Saturday date my husband and I spent the afternoon walking around Pike Place Market. The great thing about the waterfront is its proximity to the central downtown area. Everything is located within a leisurely walking distance, so it only took about 10 minutes to climb the stairs up the hill to the market.



Before I discuss the top things to see, I just wanted to give you a quick little blurb about the history of the market. Pike Place opened in 1907, and is the oldest farmer's market still in operation in the U.S. The market remains open year-round and attracts thousands of visitors from around the globe.
 
 
The Pike Place sign is one of the most recognizable and iconic landmarks of Seattle.
 


 It gets pretty crowded this time of year as the tourist season kicks into full gear, so I recommend going on a weekday if you can.
 





Perhaps one of the most popular tourist attractions is the infamous Market Theater gum wall in Post Alley. Its definitely a novelty if anything. If you're wondering, the gum is several inches thick. Talk about gross! To get to the wall, simply follow the alleyway (in the photo above this one) around to the left. Don't forget to bring a pack of gum!



The gum wall also marks the start of the market ghost tour if you're interested. I've actually been on it myself and its pretty fun, especially if you enjoy hearing about some local history. I can't say that I saw any ghosts though! But I won't lie, there's something eerie about walking through the market when its dark and deserted.


I took this picture because it's a very iconic image in Pike Place. Here in the northwest we are known worldwide for our famous salmon, as well as other local seafood such as crab and shellfish.

 


Another popular tourist hotspot is the Pike Place Fish company made famous for its fish throwing spectacle.When I say that its a spectacle I'm not exaggerating. Every time someone makes an order, the "fish mongers" as they're called, toss the fish around to each other until it eventually makes its way down to the customer. If you're in the mood for a free show be sure to check it out.


Mouthwatering isn't it? Definitely a perk of living in the pacific northwest!



Moving on, down on the lower levels there are a lot of great shops and other fun things to see such as the "giant shoe museum."





I love this part of the market because it feels like you're going back in time. The shoe museum is reminiscent of the old travelling sideshow circuses.

 
The Pike Place Magic Shop has been around forever. It's a fun place to poke around if you can spare the time. Like most magic shops, they offer the typical novelty gag gifts and magic tricks for kids. If you like this sort of thing, not too far from the aquarium, down on the waterfront is the Ye Old Curiosity Shop.
 

 
Now moving along, located down on 1st and Pike is the original flagship Starbucks for all of you coffee connoisseurs. This is actually the second original location, however it is still the oldest Starbucks in the world. Another place I recommend checking out is Beecher's Handmade Cheese. The cheese curds are to die for! The macaroni isn't bad either. In fact, the macaroni and cheese is so good that Oprah dubbed it one of her "favorite things." Beecher's is just down the street from Starbucks so you can't miss it.
 

I always enjoy watching street performers in their element, especially the statue people! Its amazing to me that anyone could make a living doing such a thing! 


Our journey ends here with one of the many pigs that you will see throughout the market. Unfortunately it was so crowded that I was unable to get a picture of the original piggy Rachel. To find her, just walk towards the main sign at the gateway of the market and look for the bronze piggy in front of the Pike Place Fish Company. Well that's all for today, I hope you enjoyed the pictures. Check back soon for the details of my first ever thrift haul video with my best friend and fellow blogger Sara from the Blonde Squad. 
-E

No comments:

Post a Comment