Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Adventure Tuesday: A Trip to the Ballard Locks

 
 
E, here. Today my friend and fellow blogger Sara and I went on a mini adventure to the Ballard Locks (also known as the Hiram M. Chittenden Locks,) which is not too far from my house. It was an unusually sunny and pleasant fall afternoon in Seattle and we wanted to get out of the house. Since it was such a nice day I felt like taking several nature shots because it isn't too likely that we will be able to enjoy such weather for too much longer.

 
 
 
Speaking of the weather, there is a fairly common misconception about Seattle that it rains all 365 days of the year. In reality, it doesn't rain nearly that much. Most of the year its actually quite beautiful. For the most part it rains more frequently in the late fall through the winter, and into early spring. So if you ever think about visiting Seattle don't hesitate because of the weather. In my opinion this is perhaps the best time of the year to visit because of all the lovely fall colors and leaves, not to mention that there are far less tourists in town.
 
 
Its funny because I've been to this park many times, and even took my prom pictures here, but I don't think that I have ever ventured into this part of the park before. Besides the locks themselves, there are several beautiful botanical gardens on the grounds. This is just one of several that we decided to stop and take pictures at.
 

Thrifted items; Tommy Hilfiger $10 (Goodwill,) sweater: Loft $10 (Goodwill.) Non-thrifted items;  jeans: JCPenny's $20, necklace: Charlotte Russe $5, boots: Bandolino $99 (DSW.) *Sunglasses: Ray Ban's (gifted)
  
Great shot of Sara don't you think? She is wearing a tweed jacket with layers underneath, and boots from DSW. Our outfits today are pretty typical of most Seattleites; jeans, several layers, and boots. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining! Fall is actually one of my favorite seasons personally. I enjoy experimenting with layers. I'm certain that Sara would agree with me. Also, did I mention that I love boots? I have a serious obsession with boots! Riding boots, rain boots, fashion boots, booties, etc. I think you get the point. I get excited when fall comes around because I start planning all of the different outfits that I can put together with boots.  I mean who doesn't love a comfy fall outfit complete with jeans, a sweater, (or your fave jacket/vest) and boots?

 
 
I love how perfectly my outfit goes with the scenery! I didn't plan to go to the locks today, but my outfit definitely has a very nautical theme to it. Anyone that knows me is aware of my nautical infatuation (my dad was a sailor,) hence the interest.
 
 
 
 The Ballard locks is a popular tourist destination because you can watch boats travel through the locks from Lake Union out into the ocean. The Locks serve as a special ship canal that allows vessels of all sizes to pass through, and also serves as a fish ladder for local salmon.
 
 
 
 
Today was a unique day because as you can see in this picture, and the picture above this one (in the background behind Sara,) the Locks were drained today which only happens once in a while. Its always interesting to see what sort of items are laying in the bottom of the chambers. There wasn't anything today otherwise I would have taken a picture. In previous visits I've seen everything from tires to cell phones, and random articles of clothing. 
 
 
 
That's all for today. I hope you enjoyed our little adventure. See you next time!
 -E

No comments:

Post a Comment