Thursday, December 12, 2013

What I Thrifted: Loading Up On the Basics


 


Whenever I go thrifting I always try to pick pieces that are unique and will build to my existing wardrobe. The whole point of thrifting is to look for great deals on clothes, shoes, and accessories that would otherwise be expensive. When thrifting it's important to keep in mind that you pick items that compliment what you already own. You will notice that I use the term "compliment" quite often on this blog. The reason that I emphasize choosing items that are "complimentary" is because you want to buy things that you will get maximum use value out of. For instance, you will notice that all of the items pictured here are tanks. Tanks serve as a great base for layering in any outfit which is why I was tried to look for a good selection of different styles.

Price Breakdown:  Goodwill
1. *Limited ruffle tank: $7.99 - $4.00
2. Forever 21 floral tank: $3.99
3. *Calvin Klein tank: $4.99 - $2.50
4. Cyrus black and white tank: $4.99

*All of the starred items were colored tags that were on sale for 50% off that day. As I mentioned in a previous post, you should always try to find the color tag item that's on sale that day because you will save a few extra bucks.

 

On this shopping trip I determined that I was only going to look for tanks because I needed them to build up my wardrobe for layering with jeans and skirts. When shopping for tanks to layer under other items, you want to look for styles and fits that will go with a wide array of clothes. Personally, I look for patterns and textures that are interesting and would look good with a cardigan or trench coat. In my previous post you'll notice that I'm wearing the ruffle Limited tank pictured above with a polka dot trench coat. In sum, once you have some good pieces to build a foundation for layering upon, feel free to mix patterns and textures and see what looks good on you. The thing that I love most about my thrifted wardrobe is the freedom to experiment with different styles.


These two basic staples will be a great addition to my wardrobe because floral and stripes go with practically anything. The floral top will look cute with shorts and skirts in the spring and summer, and will serve as a good base for layering the rest of the year. The stripe piece is a gem because it's classy and retro looking. You can't go wrong with black and white, and the shoulder bow really tops off the retro chic look. Well that's all for now. If you want to hear more style tips and see what I thrifted this week check back soon. Happy thrifting!
-E

No comments:

Post a Comment